Friday, September 2, 2011

How I changed the height of the foot on the Handi Quilter Sweeet Sixteen Sit Down Model

I used to have a problem quilting a thick quilt sandwich since the foot was so close to the tabletop.  I recently purchased an open toe quilting foot and after changing the foot I now realize how easy it would be to raise or lower the height of the foot as needed. 
Here is a diagram of the parts I used.
Here are the instructions...
1.  First I removed the needle and the needle plate.
2.  While lifting up on the spring loaded presser bar I loosened the jam nut and screwed the hopping foot up or down depending on if I wanted it higher or lower.  
3.  Once I had it where I wanted I used an 8mm wrench to tighten the jam nut.
4.  Finally, I replaced the needle and the needleplate and Voila it was done!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Rose for this tip. I changed mine and now it sews flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered the Sweet 16. What size needle(s) do you find yourself using the most?? I, also, prefer the open toe foot (have had DH modify the feet on other machines) and have ordered one to be included with the machine package. Hope to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen for your comment :) I use a size 16 needle the most. I recently used metallic thread to FM a fleece blanket for my daughter with beautiful results. The metallic thread went through like butter, no tangles at all. I used a polyester metallic thread in the bobbin and a metallic thread by Yenmet in the top. I was afraid at first but don't you be because it quilted beautiful. Good luck with your quilting!

      Delete
  3. I did order several different sized needles as I plan to work with some very fine thread that will allow me to travel over the same lines of stitching several times. Hope to have word of delivery by the end of this week/beginning of next. Due to some type of mix-up, my order just got placed today. I am also very pleased that a new dealer will be handling delivery and is major miles closer to my home. Have marked your blog and will be a 'follower' in the future. Til next time.......

    ReplyDelete