Friday, March 25, 2011

My thoughts on using my Handi Quilter for the first time.

I would like to tell you about using my Sweet Sixteen for the first time.  First I practiced on some small blocks of quilt sandwiches to find a sewing speed that would give me the stitch length I wanted.  Then I sewed my first quilt, here are my first impressions...


  • I felt it was easier to adjust the "fabric sandwich" as quilted due to the large work area, left, right, front and back as compared to my DSM domestic sewing machine.  The fabric laid so flat.

  • Sewing on my DSM for so many years I had to remember to press the foot pedal all the way down and keep it that way.  I was tempted to pick my foot off the pedal to go slower but realized if I wanted to go slower I would move the fabric slower.  
  • When you take your foot off the pedal wait for the needle to drop down.  Don't take you hands off the fabric when you take your foot off the pedal.  Doing this causes the fabric to shift slightly since the needle has not dropped down yet and then your next stitch is not in line.
  • Keep the fabric moving at a consistent speed.  I had a tendency to move the fabric faster in order to get to a desired area.  I also wanted to go faster on curves.  
  • Don't look at the needle which moves faster than how the fabric.
  • Clean the bobbin case when you use a new bobbin and clean the needle area frequently as it builds up lint. 
  • When free motion quilting on my DSM changing the bobbin was tedious because I had to remove the fabric completely to get to the bobbin.  Now changing the bobbin is easy since the bobbin is located below the table.
  • One criticism...I notice the quilt sandwich made with warm and natural,  fits under the foot but if I have a high loft batting I think I might have some trouble getting it under the foot. 


Overall, using the Handi Quilter versus free motion quilting on my DSM was faster, easier, more comfortable, and convenient...  

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you have created on your "Sweet Sixteen"!

    ReplyDelete